- This event has passed.
Lecture: “Preservation of Siberian Tigers – Raising Social Awareness”
American Center Moscow invites you to a special lecture raising awareness about preservation of Siberian tiger population. Henrik Edwin Winter will talk about his tiger conservation activity in Russia.
Henrik Edwin Winter, a native American, has been living in Russia since 1991. Before moving to Russia he worked in the USA, Denmark and France. Being in the Restaurant business for over 40 years, Henrik is now President of the “Tigrus Restaurant Holding”. Together with his wife Julia, who is his business partner, he created four leading restaurant brands in Russia: «Bar BQ Cafe», «Osteria Mario», «Zest coffee and wine» and the Georgian restaurant «Shvili».
For many years Henrik has been active in Tiger conservation activity. He named his Restaurant Company “Tigrus Restaurant Holding” – thus reflecting his vision and personal commitment to help the Russian Tigers.
His special project «Tigrus project», sponsored by his restaurant businesses, donated more than 10 million rubles to the Anyui National Park in Khabarovsk region, which is the habitat for the most northern tigers in the world.
Update on the situation with tigers:
Tigers have been hunted, exterminated, their habitat been logged, and industry have damaged their natural habitats for many decades. Today there are about 4000 tigers in the wild, of which about 550 live in the Far East of Russia. The path torward protecting the tiger population in Russia focuses on:
– Increasing protected territories.
– Restoring forests damaged by logging (both legal and illegal).
– Helping restore the natural eco/bio-system to support healthy tiger population.
– Supporting and expanding anti-poaching and illegal logging efforts.
– Expanding support for Conflict Tigers (when tigers approach populated areas).
– Raising awareness among general population about the importance and value in protecting beautiful rare animals for future generations.